(Via Chelseas Messy Apron
- 1 package (6 ounces) chow mein noodles
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup white onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup assorted sweet bell peppers
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1/2 cup yellow squash
- 1/2 cup broccoli
- 1/3 cup roma tomato
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup tomato or vegetable broth (can sub chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (based on personal preference)
- Follow package directions to cook the chow mein noodles. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Wash and then prep the vegetables: chop the onion, julienne the peppers (thin slices from top to bottom), cut the squash into small pieces, chop the broccoli into small pieces, and chop the roma tomato.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion, and garlic. Stir around until fragrant – about 30-45 seconds.
- Add in the peppers and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add in the remaining vegetables and continue to stir until they are tender about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Cut the cream cheese into small chunks and place it over the vegetables. Cover the saucepan with a lid and allow the cream cheese to melt over the vegetables.
- While the cream cheese is melting, add the tomato or vegetable broth (chicken if this isn’t vegetarian) in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the milk.
- Very slowly add in the flour whisking the mixture constantly. Allow mixture to simmer on low until slightly thickened. Add in the Cajun seasoning.
- Stir the vegetables and make sure the cream cheese is all melted.
- Combine the vegetables and liquid and stir.
- Stir in the noodles and serve immediately.