- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup bulgur, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes (about 2 medium or 6 plum tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and jalapeño and sauté, stirring often, until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the bulgur, chili powder, and cumin and stir until well combined.
2. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 1 hour. Season with salt to taste. Serve with a sprinkling of cilantro, if desired.