(Via Half Baked Harvest)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 heirloom or regular tomato, finely chopped
- 1 rounded cup heirloom cherry tomatoes or regular cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 pound spaghetti
Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the ground chicken and brown all over, breaking up the chicken as it cooks. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add both the cherry and regular tomatoes, plus any juice left on the cutting board (if you prefer, you can chop the large tomato in a food processor for fast prep) to the skillet. Cook another minute and then add the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, red wine, balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup of water. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened just slightly. Season to taste with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and boil the pasta until al dente. Drain. Pre heat the broiler to high.
Remove the bolognese from the heat and stir in the basil + parmesan.
Add the pasta to oven safe bowls (if you do not have oven safe bowls, just transfer the pasta to an oven safe skillet instead) and spoon the bolognese over the pasta. Add the mozzarella and place under the broiler for 30 seconds to 1 minute. WATCH CLOSE, this goes quick!
Remove and serve immediately with fresh basil and parmesan.