(Via Recipe Tin Eats)
Easy light, healthy noodles topped with tasty marinaded meat, fresh vegetables and herbs, drizzled lightly with a zingy sauce. The marinade is extremely versatile – if you just use this recipe as a guide, you can tailor it to your own taste. Don’t be daunted by the list of ingredients – the ingredients for the marinade and sauce are largely the same.
Meat and Marinade
- 250g/8z chicken thigh fillets (or pork, beef or any seafood)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tbsp lime juice (about ½ fresh lime)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ stalk lemongrass, white part only, bruised them sliced into pieces easy to pick out later (see notes)
- 1½ tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped (not minced with garlic crusher)
- ½ red birdseye chilli, finely chopped (or adjust quantity to your taste)
- 1½ tbsp lime juice
- ½ tbsp oil
- 100g / 3½ oz vermicelli noodles, dried
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 cucumber julienned (with seeds removed)
- 1½ cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Small handful of mint leaves
- Small handful of cilantro/coriander
- Sliced chili (for garnish – optional)
- Lime wedges (to serve – optional)
- Combine Meat and Marinade ingredients and set aside for at least 20 minutes, or freeze.
- Combine the Nuoc Cham ingredients and mix well to dissolve the sugar. Adjust to your taste (spiciness, lime, sweetness) and set aside.
- Soak the vermicelli noodles in hot water for 3 minutes (or according to packet instructions), then drain and rinse under cold water to stop the noodles from sticking together.
- Heat ½ tbsp oil in a fry pan over medium heat (or heat the BBQ). Place chicken in the pan and cook each side until dark golden brown and chicken is just cooked through – about 6 to 8 minutes in total. Remove from pan and set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Then slice into thin pieces.
- To serve individually: Place noodles in bowl. Then either top or lightly toss through the vegetables and herbs, and top with chicken pieces. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of Nuoc Cham Sauce and serve with lime wedges.
- To serve to share (my preferred way): Place meat and vegetables on a large platter with the sauce, and the noodles in a bowl, and let your guests help themselves.