(Via The Yummy Life)
- 1/4 cup uncooked oats (old fashioned rolled oats recommended; do not use steel cut oats)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup low-fat yogurt (Greek yogurt recommended)
- 1/2 cup fresh quartered strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh banana slices
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons honey, optional (or substitute preferred sweetener)
Add oats and chia seeds to blender; blend on high until texture of flour. Add milk & juice to blender; use spoon or spatula to stir in oats/chias from bottom. Add yogurt. Add strawberries and bananas. Blend on high until desired smoothness. Taste and add sweetener, if needed. Blend again. Transfer to pint (2 cup) jar or container; refrigerate overnight, or a minimum of 4 hours, so oats & chias can soften. Will keep in refrigerator 2-3 days. Shake before drinking.
IF TOO THICK after the fridge soak, add more juice or milk and shake jar/container or return to blender to combine.
FOR A SMOOTHER CONSISTENCY, return to blender after the fridge soak and blend again.
TO FREEZE: May be frozen after the 4 hour soak in the fridge. Freezing will stop the bananas from browning in the smoothie. To thaw, move to fridge a day ahead so it is thawed for drinking the next day. For faster thaw, place frozen jar/container in bowl of cold water on the counter for 1-2 hours. Shake before drinking.