These easy, make-ahead smoothies are packed with nutrition. Refrigerate or freeze them in individual servings for a quick, healthy grab-and-go breakfast or snack. This recipe is a formula for combining your own preferred flavors. (via The Yummy Life)
- 1/4 cup uncooked oats (old fashioned rolled oats recommended; do not use steel cut oats)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
- 1 cup liquid (dairy or non-dairy milk or juice, or combination)
- 1/4 cup low-fat yogurt (Greek yogurt recommended, but any yogurt may be used, including non-dairy)
- 1 cup fruit, fresh, frozen (unthawed), or canned (drained); or 1/2 cup dried fruit*; or 3/4 cup fruit sauce or puree (i.e. applesauce)
- 1 or more teaspoons sweetener (honey, maple syrup, agave syrup, or your preferred sweetener)
- 1 or more tablespoons fruit jam, preserves, or spread
- 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or other sweet spices
- 1 or more teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract or vanilla bean paste
IF TOO THICK after the fridge soak, add more juice or milk and shake jar/container or return to blender to combine.
FOR A SMOOTHER CONSISTENCY, return to blender after the fridge soak and blend again.
TO FREEZE: May be frozen after the 4 hour soak in the fridge. To thaw, move to fridge a day ahead so it is thawed for drinking the next day. For faster thaw, place frozen jar/container in bowl of cold water on the counter for 1-2 hours. Shake before drinking.
*If using dried fruit, increase liquid (milk/juice) by 1/4 cup.