(Via Vegan Richa)
- 2 cups cubed potatoes(medium size cubes)
- 2 overflowing cups of cauliflower florets(large florets broken or cut to a medium size)
- 1/3-1/2 cup peas
- 1 green chili chopped or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger chopped
- 1 Tablespoon organic canola oil or mustard oil or any oil with high smoke point
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- a generous pinch asafetida(hing) optional
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder or freshly crushed coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder or cayenne
- 2/3 teaspoon salt or to taste
In a large pan, add oil and heat at medium.
When hot add the cumin seeds and mix for half a minute.
Add ginger, garlic, asafetida and chopped chili pepper and mix for a minute or until garlic turns golden.
At this point you can go 2 ways,
1. Add the coriander, cumin and chili/cayenne powder and mix for a few seconds. Add potatoes and cook covered for 2 minutes. Then add turmeric and cauliflower, mix and continue.
2. Mix the coriander, cumin, chili/cayenne and turmeric powders in 2 Tablespoons water and add the mix to the pan. Cook for a 1 minute or so until the spices get fragrant and leave oil on the side. Add potatoes, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Add cauliflower florets and cover.
Cover and cook potatoes and cauliflower on low heat for 10-15 minutes until the veggies are just about getting tender. Stir every 5 minutes.
Add salt and peas and a few drops of oil. Mix gently. Cover and cook on low for another 5 or so minutes until veggies are tender to your preference.
Garnish with fresh Cilantro and serve with any Indian Curry or Daal soup and Roti or Naan flat breads.